A seasonal refresh for your closet can be the most satisfying task, yet oftentimes feels like it could be the most daunting. But, if you regularly clean out pieces in your wardrobe that you don’t wear, you’ll find you end up wearing much more than you would have before.
Have you ever looked at your totally full closet and thought, “I have nothing to wear?” Guilty. The problem is, when we SEE problem pieces in our closet (think out of date items, things that no longer fit, that we don’t love, or never wear) we get distracted and ignore the things that WORK.
A few quick tips for pairing down your wardrobe to include ONLY pieces you LOVE and that fit!
- If it doesn’t fit, has a hole, or has needed a new button for more than a month, it GOES.
- If it’s dated and you haven’t worn it in six months or more, it GOES.
- If it is a bridesmaids dress or formal dress you will likely never wear again, it GOES.
- Keep classic pieces in a classic color scheme.
- Limit bold, trend items that you tire of wearing easily.
- If you get frustrated take a break! This should be fun, not stressful!
When you only have items you love in your wardrobe you are more inclined to “shop from your closet.” What’s even better is that once you start getting rid of things you don’t love you’ll be surprised at how you’ll want to start purging more and more from your wardrobe. The LESS I have in my closet the MORE I actually wear. It seems counterintuitive but it’s true!
Here are some tips on what to keep if you’re on the fence about a few items!